Skip to main content

What have I been knitting?


I'll tell you. During the drive to and from NH last week I finished the pieces for the Knit1 cover cardigan. I just have to put it together and rib the front.

I also recently purchased the Celtic Cap pattern from The Girl from Auntie web store. I am on my second hat already and am enjoying the pattern immensely. By the time you've finished the hat it seems like you've gone through most types of plain cabling minus twisted stitches. I've found the pattern to be very clear. Only once did I look up something in another book. ( I checked out Aran Knitting by Alice Starmore from the library which rocks!)

The first hat was in Barlett Yarn 2ply. The cabling, especially at the top didn't turn out as nicely as I would want it to look. It's just not very distinct. I can't decide if it's my knitting ability or the yarn. Secretly I am blaming the yarn. Still it was very satisfying eventhough it felt as though this yarn was sticking to my bamboo needles.

The second hat is Jaeger Shetland. It's 80% wool and 20% alpaca in aran weight. It's much nicer to knit with and very soft.

Can you see my ghettofabulous stitch marker made from a twist-tie molded into a circle? Tres classy, don't you think?

Had kung fu last night. The drills we have been doing are making permanent goose eggs on the outsides of my wrists. owww!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern: Ice Princess Panta

For a long time now I have been wanting for make something to match the fingerless mitts I made with Cayli's gorgeous home-grown, hand-dyed, handspun that she gifted me with the holiday season before last . I had some left over still but wasn't sure about the yardage. However, I had a vision of making a head band, as I find them cute and convenient for a gal that wears her hair up in the winter. And they hardly take any yarn. Originally I wanted to make a headband like the cabled panta I made before, but the gauge was all wrong. So I improvised something late the Saturday night. And here it is: I love the subtle blue striping and the feel is OMG soft. Cayli's yarn is truly amazing and was such a pleasure to knit up. Ice Princess Panta Yarn: Heavy worsted Handspun Needles: US 8 and a cable needle or DPN Gauge: not critical, but a row gauge of 5 rows/inch with make a nice fitting panta 18 inches in circumfrence. Special Stitches: FC (front cross) = Slip 2 stitches from ...

Cloches are Cool.

Since graduating this December I have had time to think about knitting again. While I was waiting to get my car towed in the middle of a snow storm I took shelter in a yarn store (was that lucky or what?). I was tempted into buying Boutique Knitting by Laura Irwin because of the photo on the front cover. I love cloche hats and I have always wanted to knit one. When I saw this book I knew I wanted to knit this one. I chose some random black yarn from scraps at home (Plymouth baby alpaca) and cast on. While I was knitting the ruffled band I also had a vision of hearts for this hat. So I found some Noro Kojaku that I was gifted a while ago and it seemed suitable. The result is a faux isle rainbow heart cloche. It looks better on. Front: Side: Other side: With the black yarn it's hard to see the ribbing on the band especially the top-most rib. It just melts in, but I suppose that's one of the hazards of using black yarn in an area that is supposed to show texture. Or maybe it has...

First Day of School

Sometimes things happen to let you know that you've made the right decision. Today was my first day back working in my after school program. I was having fun with the kids on the back playgound and they asked if we could go for a walk. I said wouldn't it be even cooler if we went to the falls? So we asked the-coolest-boss-ever if we could take our little jaunt and she said, "I love impromptu activities!" Cool or what? So off we went: (This would be the same place that I lost my shoe! Ahem!) I took half of the kids right up to falls. They got all misted. We looked at the fossil ripples in the exposed gorge walls. We threw a bunch of rocks. We headed back down stream with all of our shoes. While walking back one of the really sweet second grade boys said to me: This place is great! (then he punched his hand up towards the sky and said) It's the best day of my entire life! I suppose that he's only 7, but I helped him have his best day ever. I couldn't have do...