Skip to main content

Not so fair Fairisle?

Socks for my boyfriend
I have FO pictures today that are only a couple years in the making. Seriously I have been working on these socks for years. Not because it's difficult. I just got ultra bored with sock knitting. You see I learned how to knit knitting socks on DPN's. And that is ALL I did for years. Not even a scarf.

So here they are: socks for my BF. Knit on #4 DPN's in Plymouth Galway, I think. It was so long ago I lost the tag/wrap thingy. The gauge on these puppies is 6.5 st/inch. This is worsted weight yarn, ack! I don't want to know what my gauge might be on 1's or 2's. The fabric of the sock is nice and tight, but not stiff. These will be warm winter boot socks. The pattern: there isn't one. I made it up as I knit. In hindsight, I wish I had left out the fairisle bits. They aren't as regular looking as I would like. That will probably go away with washing, but .....

fairisle comparison
This irregularity is really apparent on the inside of the sock. When I knit these I am pretty sure that I changed which hands were holding the strands and it made for sloppy, sloppy floats (though the tension is just fine). Compare it with the inside of the two-handed fairisle sampler purse I made using the Philosopher's Wool pattern and techniques. Weaving as you knit is really the only way to go, and it makes such a much nicer fabric on the outside as well.

One Skein Wonder
Anyway, I have also been working on a One Skein Wonder from Glampyre Knits. This one is in Noro Silk Garden and I love the way it's turning out. I am not very fond of the minimalism of the pattern though. I like more explanation of what's going on. But whatever. It's cute so far. It's also fast. I can picture myself making one or two for xmas presents.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern: Ice Princess Panta

For a long time now I have been wanting for make something to match the fingerless mitts I made with Cayli's gorgeous home-grown, hand-dyed, handspun that she gifted me with the holiday season before last . I had some left over still but wasn't sure about the yardage. However, I had a vision of making a head band, as I find them cute and convenient for a gal that wears her hair up in the winter. And they hardly take any yarn. Originally I wanted to make a headband like the cabled panta I made before, but the gauge was all wrong. So I improvised something late the Saturday night. And here it is: I love the subtle blue striping and the feel is OMG soft. Cayli's yarn is truly amazing and was such a pleasure to knit up. Ice Princess Panta Yarn: Heavy worsted Handspun Needles: US 8 and a cable needle or DPN Gauge: not critical, but a row gauge of 5 rows/inch with make a nice fitting panta 18 inches in circumfrence. Special Stitches: FC (front cross) = Slip 2 stitches from ...

Cloches are Cool.

Since graduating this December I have had time to think about knitting again. While I was waiting to get my car towed in the middle of a snow storm I took shelter in a yarn store (was that lucky or what?). I was tempted into buying Boutique Knitting by Laura Irwin because of the photo on the front cover. I love cloche hats and I have always wanted to knit one. When I saw this book I knew I wanted to knit this one. I chose some random black yarn from scraps at home (Plymouth baby alpaca) and cast on. While I was knitting the ruffled band I also had a vision of hearts for this hat. So I found some Noro Kojaku that I was gifted a while ago and it seemed suitable. The result is a faux isle rainbow heart cloche. It looks better on. Front: Side: Other side: With the black yarn it's hard to see the ribbing on the band especially the top-most rib. It just melts in, but I suppose that's one of the hazards of using black yarn in an area that is supposed to show texture. Or maybe it has...

First Day of School

Sometimes things happen to let you know that you've made the right decision. Today was my first day back working in my after school program. I was having fun with the kids on the back playgound and they asked if we could go for a walk. I said wouldn't it be even cooler if we went to the falls? So we asked the-coolest-boss-ever if we could take our little jaunt and she said, "I love impromptu activities!" Cool or what? So off we went: (This would be the same place that I lost my shoe! Ahem!) I took half of the kids right up to falls. They got all misted. We looked at the fossil ripples in the exposed gorge walls. We threw a bunch of rocks. We headed back down stream with all of our shoes. While walking back one of the really sweet second grade boys said to me: This place is great! (then he punched his hand up towards the sky and said) It's the best day of my entire life! I suppose that he's only 7, but I helped him have his best day ever. I couldn't have do...