Skip to main content

Flower Basket Shawl

Before:

After:

FO: Flower Basket Shawl, by Evelyn Clark from Interweave Knits Fall 2004

Yarn: Aracunia Nature Wool

Needles: US 9

Notes: The lace pattern was really fun. Most of the mistakes that I made came from forgetting to pass the slipped stitch in the double decrease. Checking at the end of each row saved my a lot of frustration once I figured out my lace knitting weakness.

Lesson learned: In the future I will pin my project out every so often just to check for undetected errors. I found one in my shawl while blocking it. I've fixed it, but I'd rather not have any other nastly little suprises like that again.

My big photos of the shawl didn't turn out so I'll have to post one a little later. Maybe a shawl action shot.



Comments

Anonymous said…
Really lovely! I love the subtle variations in the yarn. How many skeins did you use? This may be one I want to try!
JustApril said…
It's GORGEOUS! Action shots! I hope you do, that'll be grrrrand. LOL
Miri Mack said…
Hi Lori! Thanks for commenting on my blog. :) I used 2 skeins of worsted. I estimate it at about 26o yards total. I was considering using a contrasting color for the last bit as I only needed that second skein for the edging chart ~ 10 rows.

April - I only need to figure out how to capture the essence of shawl in action. ;-)
Teyani said…
Oh Miriam... how beautiful ! Simply beautiful!! What a fabulous job you did! You rock.
(and I love the kittie-cat photo too)
Larjmarj said…
Gorgeous! I love the nature wool colors. I have just started knitting lace as well. I like that fact that you posted an "unblocked" photo. Makes me feel a little better about the scarf that I am working on. I thought that it looked a little funky but after it's blocked it'll probably make a world of difference. Marj
Anonymous said…
Your FBS is beautiful!

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern: Ice Princess Panta

For a long time now I have been wanting for make something to match the fingerless mitts I made with Cayli's gorgeous home-grown, hand-dyed, handspun that she gifted me with the holiday season before last . I had some left over still but wasn't sure about the yardage. However, I had a vision of making a head band, as I find them cute and convenient for a gal that wears her hair up in the winter. And they hardly take any yarn. Originally I wanted to make a headband like the cabled panta I made before, but the gauge was all wrong. So I improvised something late the Saturday night. And here it is: I love the subtle blue striping and the feel is OMG soft. Cayli's yarn is truly amazing and was such a pleasure to knit up. Ice Princess Panta Yarn: Heavy worsted Handspun Needles: US 8 and a cable needle or DPN Gauge: not critical, but a row gauge of 5 rows/inch with make a nice fitting panta 18 inches in circumfrence. Special Stitches: FC (front cross) = Slip 2 stitches from ...

Cloches are Cool.

Since graduating this December I have had time to think about knitting again. While I was waiting to get my car towed in the middle of a snow storm I took shelter in a yarn store (was that lucky or what?). I was tempted into buying Boutique Knitting by Laura Irwin because of the photo on the front cover. I love cloche hats and I have always wanted to knit one. When I saw this book I knew I wanted to knit this one. I chose some random black yarn from scraps at home (Plymouth baby alpaca) and cast on. While I was knitting the ruffled band I also had a vision of hearts for this hat. So I found some Noro Kojaku that I was gifted a while ago and it seemed suitable. The result is a faux isle rainbow heart cloche. It looks better on. Front: Side: Other side: With the black yarn it's hard to see the ribbing on the band especially the top-most rib. It just melts in, but I suppose that's one of the hazards of using black yarn in an area that is supposed to show texture. Or maybe it has...

First Day of School

Sometimes things happen to let you know that you've made the right decision. Today was my first day back working in my after school program. I was having fun with the kids on the back playgound and they asked if we could go for a walk. I said wouldn't it be even cooler if we went to the falls? So we asked the-coolest-boss-ever if we could take our little jaunt and she said, "I love impromptu activities!" Cool or what? So off we went: (This would be the same place that I lost my shoe! Ahem!) I took half of the kids right up to falls. They got all misted. We looked at the fossil ripples in the exposed gorge walls. We threw a bunch of rocks. We headed back down stream with all of our shoes. While walking back one of the really sweet second grade boys said to me: This place is great! (then he punched his hand up towards the sky and said) It's the best day of my entire life! I suppose that he's only 7, but I helped him have his best day ever. I couldn't have do...