After I sewed up my Droplet hat from Knitting Nature (Why didn't I knit it in the round?), I decided that what it needed were some earflaps. You see, to make a hat truly functionable for our lovely winter weather here in Ithaca, the ears must be protected. And eventhough I have a pea-sized head, my row gauge was a little smaller than the pattern called for and I felt that the hat was just too short. So this is how it turned out:
Overall, I have to say that knitting this hat was pretty fun once I got past that first bobble row that seemed to go on forever. The no-turn bobble technique that Nora Gaughan introduced in this pattern is quite handy, if you don't mind slipping stitches. I especially liked the way she did the decreases on the crown as they are invisible and preserve the overall pattern so nicely.
The earflaps are centered below the 6th bobble on the bottom bobble row from either side of the back seam. (If this placement seems odd for you I would put on the hat with the seam centered in back and then mark the places above your ears with bulky yarn scraps.)
Going from right to left I picked up and knit 15 stitches on the wrong side and just slightly above the caston edge so that there would be a nice, decorative line running across the top of each flap.
R1 (right side) K2, p11, K2
R2 knit all stitches
R3 K2, p5, make bobble (MB), p5, k2
R5 K2, p11, k2
R7 K2, p3, mb, p3, mb, p3, k2
R9 K2, p11, k2
R11 K2, p2tog, p3, mb, p3, p2tog, k2
R13 K2, p2tog, p to last 4 stitches, p2tog, k2
R15 K2, p2tog, p to last 4 stitches, p2tog, k2
R17 K2, p2tog, p to last 4 stitches, p2tog, k2
R18 K2, slip 2 stitches as if to knit, k1, pass slipped stitches over knit stitch, k2
R19 K1, p3tog, k1
Knit 3 remaining stitches as I-cord for 12 inches or desired length for earflap ties. Finish with a bobble: K1, mb, slip first knit stitch over bobble stitch, slip bobble stitch onto left hand needle, k2tog, cut yarn and pull through remaining loop. Weave in ends.
On this last bobble I did a modified version of Nora Gaughan's by using a yarn over instead of kfb. So I actually had 6 bobble stitches: yo, k, yo, k, yo, k; slip back to left, purl, slip back to left, knit, p5sso. I think it's only fitting to end the droplet hat with a droplet of sorts. :-)