Skip to main content

Pink Fists of Fury

Check out my pink wraps! I haven't had a lot to say this week because it's been rather tumultuous and I tend to get pretty tight when I am upset. Things in my personal life have been topsy turvy and my man, mr. fortran, has been living it up in a different country. So I haven't had any support on the homefront. But there have been a few bright spots.

First, you know you're having a good Tuesday when someone comes up to you and says, "Hey I haven't seen you in a while. Your butt has gotten a lot smaller!" Now that just makes you go woohoo! inside. Since starting kung fu I have gained 20 pounds. Now of course it's muscle, but I still haven't lost a lot of the fat I had on top of the muscle. So all in all I have gotten bigger and very frustrated. But I think I am finally at the point where the body fat I am losing is beginning to show. Yeehaaw!

Second, I went to the local boxing gym this week to check it out. For a while now I have been wanting to go because I feel like I need to work on my punching. I don't hit very hard and my fist is wrong. But I have been feeling a little shy about it and busy, too. And I can say now that it's too bad I waited so long. The guy who runs it rocks.

There are 3 other gals I have seen training there. 2 just started and the other one looks really hard core. I can tell that there are also some kickboxers and muay thai fighters training there, too. The people were really friendly and it's one heck of a workout. I went 3 rounds punching mitts and nearly died. My forearms were so spent. But it was so fabulous. I felt like a million dollars when I walked out of there last night. (then I went to kung fu. I am officially insane).

As for knitting, I am still working on my clapotis. I just have 4 more rows of the last straight repeat and then I am moving on to the decreasing section. I also restarted the Pomatomus sock for the third time. This is supposed to be the charmed one, right? I just don't like magic loop. Give my my DPN's!

The other knitting thing I have been doing lately is putting together a lace scarf pattern. I've been swatching and swatching. I still don't have it right.

Knitting special olympics I've also just joined up with the Knitting Special Olympics (which I apparently forgot to bookmark. Doh!). I will be working on Eris again. The whole Yarn-Harlot-knitting-Olympics-thing really turns me off. I don't enjoy knitting under a deadline. All in all it's not my cup of tea, but I've got nothing against those who are super enthusiastic about it. More power to them! This is just more in line with my knitting personality.

And Congrats to Beth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

Mothlady said…
As a person who has had her own personal Knitting Olympics since the late 80's, I find it amusing that quite a few of the participants are so gung ho about the whole thing =) I love the Olympics and I love knitting, so I always want a very special project for that. If I finish it during the Olympics, I'm pleased. If not, that's okay too. The main thing is to have fun.
Miri Mack said…
Your definitely right, Mothlady. I thought it was really cool that this was your tradition anyway. Your Eris was lovely. I just know that I would feel pressure. So this is good for me. I hope I didn't give offense.
Mothlady said…
Hehe, now that I've read more about the Special Knitting Olympics it seems I should join that instead ;)
Heidi said…
Hey Miriam, Thanks for the comment:)
I wish I had the time to join the Knitting Olympics. But I know I couldn't keep up w/ the deadlines either.But I gotta say I like double loop method, even though I'm a DPN-er.
Sooo, thnx & talk with you later,
Mica

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern: Ice Princess Panta

For a long time now I have been wanting for make something to match the fingerless mitts I made with Cayli's gorgeous home-grown, hand-dyed, handspun that she gifted me with the holiday season before last . I had some left over still but wasn't sure about the yardage. However, I had a vision of making a head band, as I find them cute and convenient for a gal that wears her hair up in the winter. And they hardly take any yarn. Originally I wanted to make a headband like the cabled panta I made before, but the gauge was all wrong. So I improvised something late the Saturday night. And here it is: I love the subtle blue striping and the feel is OMG soft. Cayli's yarn is truly amazing and was such a pleasure to knit up. Ice Princess Panta Yarn: Heavy worsted Handspun <50g Needles: US 8 and a cable needle or DPN Gauge: not critical, but a row gauge of 5 rows/inch with make a nice fitting panta 18 inches in circumfrence. Special Stitches: FC (front cross) = Slip 2 stitch

Golden Gloves

So let me just start out by saying that I didn't win my match at the Syracuse Golden Gloves, but I did have a good time, a good fight and learned a great deal. We left Ithaca before noon on friday. There were 11 fighters plus coaches riding up together in a van from GIAC. It was crowded, but fun. The guys and gals from my gym are good natured and easy going so sitting hip to hip was not uncomfortable at all. When we arrived at the fairgrounds in Syracuse, we were able to weigh in right away. After the numbers were recorded the organizers looked to find matches in your weight and experience class (coaches kind of RSVP their fighters). It turned out that I didn't have one which really bummed me out, but with the weigh ins over there was something really important to catch up on: Eating. We all went out to lunch and then came back to the fairgrounds. If you were matched up, you had to see the doctor. It turned out that while I was gone someone my weight had registered. So I was se

I Spy Handknits

Welcome to "I Spy Handknits" on Kung Fu Knitting. I love seeing people walking around in their hand knits and thought this would be a good space to document it. My real intention is to get pictures and stories from random people in my community, but let me tell you, sometimes I feel a little bit freaky walking up to complete strangers and asking them about their sweaters and such. So my first featured hand knit comes from someone that I know. Meet the talented husband of one of my lovely coworkers. Not only was this garter stitch scarf handknit, but it's also handspun! How cool is that? And check out the great jacket! You should also check out his site, King Turtle . Oliver is a talented Ukulele artiste who was recently featured on NPR's Whad'ya Know show. He is also one of four finalists in their Whad'ya Idol contest! Good luck!