Skip to main content

FO: Cable Top Buttonhole Bag

Project spectrumI am glad to finally have a new FO to post about. It's my cable top buttonhole bag for Project Spectrum April.

Cable Top Buttonhole Bag

Yarn: Plymouth Galway (3 skeins), scraps of accent yarn
Needles: US 10.5 24 inch circular
Pattern: Original

I had a vision of this bag in my mind as I was knitting it and it did't quite pan out the way I had hoped (hmm it looks a lot like the before picture!), but that's the fun of felting (especially untested patterns). I'm quite suprised really, I thought the cable top was going to shrink a lot more given the orientation of the stitches. Anyway, this experiement has given me the material to make a better bag pattern for the next one.

One of the things that you rarely here of when felting, especially bags, is the problem of the fabric felting too fast. I usually expect to run two complete washes with every project, but when I pulled this little bag out of the cold rinse it had already felted *too* much. Incredible. I've felted with Galway before and new it was a Champion Felter, but this was ridiculous. The second problem was uneven felting. I fixed this as best as I could during blocking. The third little irritation is the flaring about the buttonhole. My caston was too stretchy there and I knew it. So I SCed around it to tighten it up but it wasn't enough really.

Anyway, I think the next iteration of this bag will have two cables at the top with the buttonhole between them. This will ameliorate the flaring issue. There will be more crocheted accents on the body fabric, as well as some different shaping to get the effect that I am looking for.

Isn't the Kitty button cute? It's hand carved from applewood by a local artisan.


May is Green

Comments

Anonymous said…
I really like it! Especially the cable detailing on the top!
Teyani said…
I think that the bag is WONDERFUL !
I love the cabled top - and the flower w/kitty button is so cute!
You designed this pattern??? whoa - that's so cool. Rock on girl.

and btw - I love the little photo at the end of your post of the leaves - you take some amazing pictures.. I'm betting that this was on your porch. :-)
Craftybernie said…
I love the bag - and the cabled top is very creative! I'd love to have a go at a border like that. Regarding the 'saggy' handles, have you tried just re-felting that specific area? I had a similar problem and I fixed it with soap and a nail brush. Providing the wool you used to SC it is the feltable/same as main bag, it should tighten the area up.

Good luck. Hope your pattern works out and look forward to seeing the finished article.

Thanks for your comments re shaving felted bags.

Best wishes....Bernie

www.craftybernie.blogspot.com (my knit blog)
www.fairystuff.blogspot.com (my handmade flower fairies)
www.beadingbernie.blogspot.com (my beaded stuff)
Unknown said…
I love, love, love the bag! So cute with the crochet accent & the kitten button. Very cool origianl FO!
Bonnie O. said…
The orange is lovely and I like the cable. I think a cable on top and bottom of the handle opening will be cute, too.
Miri Mack said…
Thanks, Lori!

Teyani, thanks and you're right. :)

Thanks for the advice bernadettle. The handles aren't saggy actually, it's the bottom portion of the buttonhole that's flaring more than I'd like.

Thanks so much Kristin!

Hey, Bonnie, thanks. I can't wait to try that out myself.
LadyLinoleum said…
I think that bag is faboo! I love the way the cable felted. Stunning. And, I'm an orange girl so it's double stunning in my book.
Larjmarj said…
I like it and I like the way the top cabled edge felted. The color...awesome! I think felting usually has to be tweaked to get it to do what you want it to, or at least that's been my experience.

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern: Ice Princess Panta

For a long time now I have been wanting for make something to match the fingerless mitts I made with Cayli's gorgeous home-grown, hand-dyed, handspun that she gifted me with the holiday season before last . I had some left over still but wasn't sure about the yardage. However, I had a vision of making a head band, as I find them cute and convenient for a gal that wears her hair up in the winter. And they hardly take any yarn. Originally I wanted to make a headband like the cabled panta I made before, but the gauge was all wrong. So I improvised something late the Saturday night. And here it is: I love the subtle blue striping and the feel is OMG soft. Cayli's yarn is truly amazing and was such a pleasure to knit up. Ice Princess Panta Yarn: Heavy worsted Handspun <50g Needles: US 8 and a cable needle or DPN Gauge: not critical, but a row gauge of 5 rows/inch with make a nice fitting panta 18 inches in circumfrence. Special Stitches: FC (front cross) = Slip 2 stitch

Boxing, Knitting, Job Search Blues

The past two months haven't been a good ones here in kung fu knitting land. I think I have been depressed. Well, I know that I have been. I mean, about two months ago I stopped doing a lot of stuff that I normally do, like blog and knit and read. And I had a few days where I was barely able to keep it together. I mean I was on the verge of crumbling into a little heap. Yes, a little heap of sad-Miriness. I thank my sister and Ms. Missy for getting me through there. I'm no longer in danger of heapness, small nor large. In fact, I feel more balanced than I have for a long while. I'm not exactly sure what brought on this bout of melancholy. I was under a lot of stress to try to find another job that fits my schedule so that I can keep my School Age Program job. I have one now that fits the bill for the time being. So that's a little better, but I really think I was suffering from some sort of post-trauma depression. I mean it felt so good to get out of my old relationship.

I Spy Handknits

Welcome to "I Spy Handknits" on Kung Fu Knitting. I love seeing people walking around in their hand knits and thought this would be a good space to document it. My real intention is to get pictures and stories from random people in my community, but let me tell you, sometimes I feel a little bit freaky walking up to complete strangers and asking them about their sweaters and such. So my first featured hand knit comes from someone that I know. Meet the talented husband of one of my lovely coworkers. Not only was this garter stitch scarf handknit, but it's also handspun! How cool is that? And check out the great jacket! You should also check out his site, King Turtle . Oliver is a talented Ukulele artiste who was recently featured on NPR's Whad'ya Know show. He is also one of four finalists in their Whad'ya Idol contest! Good luck!