Monday, October 31, 2005

Felted Crochet Bag


I have made another felted scrap bag. This time I crocheted it and I really like the results. The cost was nothing as I just used left over yarn from other projects. Mostly I remembered what kind of yarn it was, but I spit spliced the yarns together for color changes just to make sure they would felt.

I wanted to make a Lucy-type bag from Two Old Bags. So after I had crocheted up the height of the bag, I winged the straps. I edges the entire top of the bag and that stopped it from flaring. I also edged the straps and that added extra stength to them (they are not going to stretch as much). I would definitey do this to my knitted bags in the future.

As with knitted straps, the crocheted straps are felting more slowly. I've put it through a hot wash and cold rinse two times, but I think I will give it another go for the straps and the bottom needs a little extra felting as well.

Overall I am very pleased at how it turned out. I think it took me about 7 hours to crochet and I am quite slow.

Prefelted dimensions:
  • Height: 14 inches (not including bottom)
  • Width: 14 inches
  • Long Strap: 41x5 inches
  • Short Strap: 16x3 inches

Postfelted dimensions:

  • Height: 10 inches
  • Width: between 7 and 9 inches
  • Long Strap: 35 inches (Needs more felting)
  • Short Strap: 10

Best felting yarn in this project: Galway. It even felted like crazy on the long strap where cascade is having trouble.

Hook: USM

2 comments:

Teyani said...

gorgeous bag!!!
No wonder you have so little "stash" left after using it all on this lovely gem!It's yummy!

pencil roving is easy and FAST to knit and crochet with - you need a size 15 needle to knit with it (so think really BIG crochet hook). I made some great felted bags with this fiber... take a look at this:
http://www.crownmountainfarms.com/html/pencil_roving.html

the bags I felted are on the right side of this page -
not quite like yours, but it'll give you an idea... its versitile and quick -
How's the weather there in Ithaca.. got any snow yet?
thinking of you and that gorgeous fall weather -
Teyani

Aprilynne said...

Your bag turned out real cute =)