Skip to main content

Stone Mountain

I've been saving this post for a while and seeing that I don't really have any knitting content to present at the moment, I decided to show something more than a little quirky from my Atlanta trip. Stone Mountain

Welcome!

The South is such a hospitable place. I found the people in Atlanta to be quite nice for the most part, though I didn't hear many, "y'alls" about. But of course, that wouldn't do at a place like Stone Mountain. It's a veritable shrine to Southern history. Witness the flagstones of the Succession:



Or better yet, the portraits of the generals. Can you name them all? (Mouseover for the answers.) You could take a cablecar to the top. It's barely visible in the picture.

Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson, Jefferson Davis

Now of course, a little place like this couldn't exist without a fake little shop town, replete with live blacksmith and black coffin for posing in. Not to mention cotton candy at most every corner and holiday music piped throughout (there was no escape).

The streets should also have names befitting the history of the park:



Apparently at night, there is a laser show that beams the face of Martin Luther King over the confederate generals. Imagine that? When we were there, there was only going to be an evening holiday show. Darn!

It was a beautiful place. The mountain itself was gorgeous and I really wished I could have hiked it. There are some cool igneous structures and I imagine that the view from the top is marvelous.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You look so cute in your peacoat posing in a coffin! I think I'd do something odd with that picture--like make xmas cards with it (y'all know,all that red and green would make a fun xmas card)!

I look at that mountain and think--by gods how could they desecrate such a beautiful rock?
JustApril said…
You ARE cute in that pic, but GET OUT OF THERE! AAAAAAUUUUUGGGGHHHHHH!

Ok, so I know you're already out, but *cry* that scares me! lol I'm glad you enjoyed your Southwardbound vacation. I haven't been to that particular 'South' but the one here is cool, too. =) A little less... Civil Warry, but not much, hahaha

Hey is that rock from your 5 Things post petrified wood? I love that stuff.
Carrie said…
A coffin pic! I don't know if I could stand there. Time flies fast enough =) I wish I could see a light show like that, too! Darn Darn Darn!
Miri Mack said…
Ho! I didn't even think about stepping into that ole coffin there!

That's sounds like a fun plan, Holly! Christmas cards!

April - Nope it's a hinge from a fold. Rock layers were heated/pressurized and compressed in some fashion. Given where I collected it, most likely sea sediments. I love petrified wood, too. In fact, Petrified Wood National monument is just about one of the coolest places I have been. Go, if you ever get a chance!
AR said…
How cool! Sounds like fun. I love the coffin pic. I would have been dissapointed to miss the MLK light show, too.
midgeling said…
Cool! We stayed in Stone Mountain, GA last July when Harley was in the TKD Junior Olympics. It was really nice, and ffor some odd reason, I felt really at home in Atlanta. You really got some great photos.
Miri Mack said…
Thanks Midgeling and AR.

I really liked Atlanta. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern: Ice Princess Panta

For a long time now I have been wanting for make something to match the fingerless mitts I made with Cayli's gorgeous home-grown, hand-dyed, handspun that she gifted me with the holiday season before last . I had some left over still but wasn't sure about the yardage. However, I had a vision of making a head band, as I find them cute and convenient for a gal that wears her hair up in the winter. And they hardly take any yarn. Originally I wanted to make a headband like the cabled panta I made before, but the gauge was all wrong. So I improvised something late the Saturday night. And here it is: I love the subtle blue striping and the feel is OMG soft. Cayli's yarn is truly amazing and was such a pleasure to knit up. Ice Princess Panta Yarn: Heavy worsted Handspun Needles: US 8 and a cable needle or DPN Gauge: not critical, but a row gauge of 5 rows/inch with make a nice fitting panta 18 inches in circumfrence. Special Stitches: FC (front cross) = Slip 2 stitches from ...

Cloches are Cool.

Since graduating this December I have had time to think about knitting again. While I was waiting to get my car towed in the middle of a snow storm I took shelter in a yarn store (was that lucky or what?). I was tempted into buying Boutique Knitting by Laura Irwin because of the photo on the front cover. I love cloche hats and I have always wanted to knit one. When I saw this book I knew I wanted to knit this one. I chose some random black yarn from scraps at home (Plymouth baby alpaca) and cast on. While I was knitting the ruffled band I also had a vision of hearts for this hat. So I found some Noro Kojaku that I was gifted a while ago and it seemed suitable. The result is a faux isle rainbow heart cloche. It looks better on. Front: Side: Other side: With the black yarn it's hard to see the ribbing on the band especially the top-most rib. It just melts in, but I suppose that's one of the hazards of using black yarn in an area that is supposed to show texture. Or maybe it has...

First Day of School

Sometimes things happen to let you know that you've made the right decision. Today was my first day back working in my after school program. I was having fun with the kids on the back playgound and they asked if we could go for a walk. I said wouldn't it be even cooler if we went to the falls? So we asked the-coolest-boss-ever if we could take our little jaunt and she said, "I love impromptu activities!" Cool or what? So off we went: (This would be the same place that I lost my shoe! Ahem!) I took half of the kids right up to falls. They got all misted. We looked at the fossil ripples in the exposed gorge walls. We threw a bunch of rocks. We headed back down stream with all of our shoes. While walking back one of the really sweet second grade boys said to me: This place is great! (then he punched his hand up towards the sky and said) It's the best day of my entire life! I suppose that he's only 7, but I helped him have his best day ever. I couldn't have do...